Friday, February 16, 2007

Most Books Look The Same

With the vast wealth of typefaces available it seems that the book world isn't interested. I'm not a huge book reader, but I have purchased around six books recently and they all look the damn same. I find it very dull. It's all just a regular 'ol Times serif kind of stuff, nothing catchy about it. I mean, why not try Paperback by House Industries? Still mostly regular stuff, but with a bit more flair. Maybe I am being too hard on them, maybe I just don't see enough books with interesting typefaces. Still, seems to me that they're all the damn same. Of course, this blog itself has a bookish quality thanks to the template, which is cool, but only cause it's the web. Low res screens necessarily must sacrifice most of the nuance of typography in favor of legibility. With books there's no such restrictions. Okay fine, so there's a difference with paper stocks, but you can still get more res with paper. Anyway the point is, I decree by force of sheer will that all books published after this date shall have more interesting fonts. I am waving my hands and squinting very hard now. Waves of energy are beaming from my head making the air look like someone's using a Weber grill. Can you feel the power?

No comments: