Monday, April 2, 2007

Total Destruction

It's true, the sad fact is that my personal sense of well being is hinged directly upon the integrity of computer data. This morning I learned that I had accidentally moved my Documents folder into a temporary folder and then deleted that. I found the folder in the trash and immediately moved the contents back. Unfortunately the only surviving folders are M through Z. A through L are gone. Most missed is my Mozilla e-mail folder. File recovery apps seem to recover a bunch of useless generic files. Fine for images or text files, but not fine for a Mozilla e-mail directory full of cryptic insider files no non-programmer could make sense of. The directory structure appears to be lost. It's kinda like smashing your favorite glass art sculpture to pieces and then some guy saying, "Hey it's all cool, I will find all the pieces for you and put them in one box!" Yeah, great.

The moral of the story is; Back up your data right now. You don't have to wait around for a mechanical drive failure, you could stupidly delete a whole folder with one mistracking optical mouse movement! It ruins your whole fucking day lemme tell ya.

No comments: