Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Caveat Emptor

caveat emptor | noun
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
ORIGIN early 16th cent.: Latin, literally ‘let the buyer beware.’

This is a phrase which everyone should take to heart whenever dealing with any online transaction between two people selling used items. Whether it's eBay or whatever, it is the buyer's responsibility to READ the ad copy and make a thoughtful decision about buying it or not. I have bought a fair amount of goods over the past few years on eBay and Audiogon, which is a site specifically for trading audio equipment. As a buyer I don't feel that I have ever been ripped off by anyone. That might be just sheer luck, or it could also be because I don't transact with people having lazy, insufficient or funny-sounding ad copy. One doesn't need a "good" reason for avoiding something, it can be a gut feeling. If the person isn't giving enough information or there's no picture. NO SALE. I make note of the person's location and feedback. I read the payment terms. I look for anything that seems funny and ask questions if something isn't clear.

If I am buying ANYTHING used online from an individual my expectations are much lower than if I was buying from a formal business. eBay is a like big rummage sale. Don't expect 100% customer satisfaction. Don't expect to be able to return if if you don't like it. These are people who have lives beyond this little sale and their job isn't to make sure you're happy as a clam. They want to sell their stuff and get money. Period. They're not professional retailers. Well yes, there ARE of course professional retailers on eBay but I am not talking about them. You buy used from individuals to cut out the middlemen, get something which is "good enough" in quality, and not pay as much as retail. Simple enough?

If you want to be coddled, buy new. If you want a deal and aren't afraid of a little hassle, buy used. But DON'T come crying to me because you can't fucking read plain English! You need to read the ad copy on eBay folks, it's a legally binding contract. If it's too long and boring to read, don't bid. There are lots of unreadable garbage ads out there and I can't figure why anyone buys from them. But all the same, it's great for the individual seller. Where else is being able to write a legally binding contract so easy to do? Finally you get a chance to be your own lawyer for once! Don't take that opportunity lightly.

I said I've never been ripped off, but people have accused me of ripping them off. It's a joke. If you are a whiner who wants their hand held, if you just want to read what I'm selling and nothing else, then don't do business with me. Luckily every bad transaction is a learning experience and it gives you more chances to dot your i's and cross your t's next time. But I think there's people out there who will never be happy. I really have to give props to anyone who runs their own business. It must be a huge task to have to deal with the general public on a daily basis. I don't know how people have the patience!

No comments: