Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Serpent's Fruit Is Tricksy

Remember back when I was talking about the dark heart of model railroading and the episode of CSI? No, of course you don't, you're most likely reading another blog right now. But let's pretend for a moment. And while you're pretending you could go and read that post and come back later. The harsh truth is I've never even seen that episode of CSI. I've never seen ANY episode of CSI for that matter. This is not damning evidence at all considering I never claimed to have actually watched the episode. It was based entirely on word of mouth from another person. The stuff I said about model railroading, now that was completely true and based upon some seven years of vigorous research, observation, and daydreaming.

You might ask why a person would write about an episode of CSI he hadn't seen, that is if you were actually reading this, which you're not. It's because:


A) I don't have my TV connected to an antenna or coaxial cable
B) I don't want to update my Quicktime software.

The malcontent tinkerers at Apple already have my 30-some bucks or whatever it cost me to register Quicktime PRO (ooh, ahh!) a ways back and now they've got a new version 7 that I need if I want to download and watch the episode of the lousy gaddamn show from the friggin' iTunes store. Why would you register Quicktime Pro anyway? To turn the menu item that says Save As Source... from disabled grey to beautiful, active black. That's all. Hooray! Thirty bucks to be able to save off a video or audio file. Seems nutty, but I paid their price.

So yes, I could upgrade to 7 and watch that lousy CSI episode, but then I have to cough up another 30 bucks to get my blackened menu items back. Bastards! What's so great about this new version 7 anyway? And what the hell happened to that motto "it just works"? Quicktime was "just working" fine for a long time, and now they throw up another toll bridge. I know I am just bitter, but if you ask me it smells of version incompatibility for the sake of version incompatibility.

No comments: